Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Organized Mind by Daniel J. Levitin

Possibly another best seller by Daniel J. Levitin, PhD, has just arrived at the New Nonfiction Shelf at Cypress Park Branch Library today.

The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload, will definitely get your attention once you pick up the book and start reading the very first page. Professor Levitin who teaches Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience at McGill University and is the dean of the College of Arts and Humanities at the Minerva Schools at KGI.

Many people had no idea how frustrating when one needs to look for his or her pair of eyeglasses at home or office. I have been wearing my near sighted glasses for almost 50 years. In the last few years, I start to have problem remembering where I left the pair. But when I heard that my friend who never wear glasses also has the problem of remembering where he left his car keys. I realize my problem is not just vision; rather, it is my brain.

Our brain, functioned exactly like the C drive of a computer, has enormous capacity of information storage space. For most ordinary people, the question is not how to learn new information. The question is to remember/find the information when needed. If you have 1000 files in your personal computer, you understand the difficulty to organize and retrieve each and every file. (emails too!)

Livitin's book not only presents most current study in brain science, but also delivers a complex discipline into easy language so that both scholar and general public could understand. Whether you are a astrophysicist or a homemaker, the book will help you to find the Italian herb container you purchased last Christmas. I did find my key this afternoon.

This book will be popular. So reserve your copy online  at www.lapl.org; or call library for assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment