Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Volunteering at the Library

Ashley standing with the presentation she turned into school about volunteering at the library.

 Ashley, first of all we'd like to thank you for choosing to complete your school community service hours with us. We have a few questions for you about your experience volunteering at the branch. We hope you enjoyed completing your hours with us and hope to continue to see you in the library.

 What kind of things did you do while volunteering at the library?

I hosted teen programs and put books back on the shelves. Hosting teen programs is amazing because I do different things like Xbox game night, bingo time, movie night and played board games. Re-shelving books sounds easy but it's not. You have to put them back in order and by year.

What did you learn from your experience volunteering at the library?

Throughout the whole time working at the library I learned many new things. For example, I learned how to do origami figures, organize books/movies. The hardest thing I learned was checking the books that the Librarians didn't want and the ones they did want. I also learned that helping at the Library seems or sounds boring but it's not because you are helping people and learning new things. Being at the library around people  and kids was a great experience because I learned how not to be shy and just be myself.

How has it impacted your life?

The library has really impacted my life because even though it's so close to my house I've never really bothered going. I never liked reading books or even helping out. This experience changed that. I am more about helping out kids and organizing books because I get to see different types of books which sometimes means I get to look at them. Each book has it's own meaning and knowledge to learn from. That's really amazing. This is why the library has influenced me.

Teens: If you have community service hours you need to complete as a requirement  for your school and would like to complete them here contact Paula Grigorian, our Young Adult Librarian, here at the branch at 323-224-0039.

No comments:

Post a Comment